Jesus loves me this I know. Debra Wants me this I know. My kids appreciate me this I know. My church encourages me this I know. My Life Group cares for me this I know. Everything else I know, I will share with you.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Better?

I have always had a love hate relationship with the story of Gideon out of Judges Chapter 7 because it goes against everything I believe about life.

More is Better – Always

More Time is Better – Always
More Money is Better – Always
More Food is Better – Always
More People is Better – Always

In fact I have heard some of your children using that word at a very young age. More.

But God doesn’t always need More, in fact, I believe He wants Better First.
This we see in our passage.
Judges 7:2 (KJV)  And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people that are with thee are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, Mine own hand hath saved me.
Gideon starts out with More People, But God wants Better.
So 22,000 out of 32,000 leave.

Still not good enough for God, He still wants Better.
So, 9,700 are taken away.

Leaving 300 followers of God to defeat an army of Thousands.
And they did.

What made the 300 better than the 32,000.

22,000 were fearful.
            Fearful of change
            Fearful of the challenge
            Fearful of the cost. (Possibly their lives)

9,700 were prideful.
            They were not cautious
            They were not wise
            They were not prepared

The 300?
            They believed in God
            They were submissive unto God
            And they were victorious because God was the center of their lives.

More scared and prideful Christians do not make a better church.
Though I prefer more, as it makes ME feel better. (see the second half of Judges 7:2)God has other plans to defeat Satan.

As I think about this year and the new spirit of the people of newLife, I see better.
This is not quality over quantity, its faithful over just full.
But the reason for the better is to get the more for God.
Let’s go.

No comments:

Post a Comment