Jesus loves me this I know. Debra Wants me this I know. My kids appreciate me this I know. My church encourages me this I know. My Life Group cares for me this I know. Everything else I know, I will share with you.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

All we like Sheep............

As I was reading through the book of Corinthians it became very clear to me that I have been so focused on studying the book I stopped seeing the truth.

I understand that 1 Corinthians is a letter written to a body of believers that had gone astray.

1. It was a Divided Church. Being more concerned with their Baptismal Experience than their Salvation Experience. Chapter 1

2. It was an Undisciplined Church. Sin was not dealt with. Whether it was a prideful membership (who baptized who), a positional membership (rich getting more honor than the poor Chapter 11), and a perverted membership (a young man having a sexual relationship with his step mother) and yet no one said anything. There was no use of Jesus teachings in Matthew 18 but all was ignored. No one close to those in sin rebuked them, no one from the pulpit rebuked them and so sin was rampant.

3. It was an Doctrinally Confused Church. Many of the members brought in their past experiences into their
relationship with Jesus and the church from things they learned as non-believers, as religious people, and even as poorly taught Christians.

1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.


But what happens to me as a Christian is that I can study this book to learn what was wrong with the Corinthian Church and even compare these things to my own life and church, but this letter was not written to newLife. Nor was it written to Andy Roberts. For us yes but about us no. and so I have to ask myself this morning............

Where have I gone astray?

If God were to have someone I trusted (this is key) write me a letter about my faith, what would it say?

Where have I gone astray?

What is more important to me than Jesus?
       What am I worshiping today more than Him?
                My Job?
                My Church?
                My Family?

What sin am I not dealing with?
        What am I choosing to ignore in my life?
        What am I unwilling to confess and repent of?   (1 John 1:7-10)

What doctrine am I weak in?
        What have I been taught that is wrong and how do I know?
        What do I believe out of convenience and not conviction?
        What cultural truth do I ascribe to trumping a biblical truth?

and so this morning that is my question.

Where have we gone astray?

3 comments:

  1. This really has me thinkin this morning, SJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good! I love that God is forever revealing if we are forever seeking! Let it be our heart to say "what ever it takes Lord" With all our hearts keep moving forward
    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be my morning breakfast with God! ~Jen Smith

    ReplyDelete