Jesus loves me this I know. Debra Wants me this I know. My kids appreciate me this I know. My church encourages me this I know. My Life Group cares for me this I know. Everything else I know, I will share with you.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

PRob is Learning

One of the things that God is teaching me is the power of emotional stress. All forms of ministry carries it.
As a church we work with people, not machines or systems.

When I worked at the mill my day ended when someone relieved my position or the machine was down.
I could go home and leave it all behind because it wasn't personal.

But working with humans is very personal. Every week we work with people who have been deeply hurt, horribly scarred, and are painfully existing. Their pain, their problems are not easy to shut off for them let alone ourselves. Their pain speaks to our pain and often awakens things in us we thought long forgotten and we often carry their pain in our hearts and minds.

This is a major drain on us emotionally which is why many quit ministry because they can no longer live with the stress of working with such pain. There is a reason school teachers need to retire often after working only 25 to 30 years and why most Pastors 90% don't finish well.

This week for me is about regaining some sanity from the emotional stress of ministry. The marriage and the  F-Bomb series have been fruitful but also draining and I believe that God is teaching me things that will be helpful to my own Ministry longevity but also to yours.

Here are a few things that I am learning about emotional stress.

#1 Ignore Critics. No one called them to critique your ministry. Critics think too much and do to little. Trust those God has intrusted to encourage your ministry, don't trust those who just think they have been.

#2 Ignite Celebrations. Parties are always a great way to relieve emotional stress. They allow you to see the value in the heavy work that we do. When someone gets saved - Celebrate, when someone gets Baptized - Celebrate, when someone becomes an Owner - Celebrate, when someone finishes discipleship- Celebrate, when someone repents of sin - Celebrate, when someone forgives another - Celebrate. Ministry ought to be celebrated on a weekly basis and nothing is more encouraging than a constant party.

#3 Investigate Christ. Do what Jesus did. When the emotional stress was too much, He prayed, He stayed (waited a few days before going to raise Lazarus from the dead) He cried (Many times), He died (the emotional stress of dealing with people was the reason He died on the cross)

This week I have been praying.
This week I have been staying. Waiting on Gods timing
This week I have been crying.
This week I have been dying. There is much I need to do, but one thing is best to do, get ready for Sunday.

Tonight, Have a party and enjoy being together.
I can't wait to see you all Sunday

2 comments:

  1. Peace and REST is your most valuable weapon against the enemy! When you rest in God Your hiding in the shadow of his wings!
    Your in constant battle with the enemy standing at the front line, fighting were most never see. Rest is important because God is going to take the church body where no other church is willing to go! Out of our comfort zone and into a great move of God. We will keep you in prayer! Go to your secret place and let God take you higher. I pray God gives you great vision of our future! That we will be a church that brings heaven to earth!
    REST and we cant wait to hear the last of the F-bomb! :O) Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post hit me in so many ways, made me think, encouraged me, and hit on quite a few things I was feeling, or have been dealing with, it has been a busy week in ministry with people, (life) hurting for others, got hit with something at work yesterday that devestated my heart, I dont even no how to feel for this person or help her with her pain but to pray. Being a christian is very emotional, one minute you celebrate, one minute you cry, one minute your hurting, not for yourself but for others, it does take a toll emotionally, what this all has taught me, it has made me want to fight for others, pray for those in pain, celebrate God's goodness, be thankful for all I have and to be content, that Im able to do what God asks and requires of me. The importance of going to that quiet place to rest, get away from the world, and pray for yourself so your able to help others. And slow down a little and appreciate this wonderful life. God has given so much.

    Pastor I pray you rest and find quietness from the world this week so you can clearly hear Gods word with no STATIC. you have a wonderful day:)SJ

    ReplyDelete