Jesus loves me this I know. Debra Wants me this I know. My kids appreciate me this I know. My church encourages me this I know. My Life Group cares for me this I know. Everything else I know, I will share with you.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

How to Help the Pastor be His Best!

While there are several things that make the ministry of the Pastor difficult there are several ways that a church member can help the Pastor be the best Pastor he can be.
Here are three basic suggestions, and then a few thoughts.

1. Pray for Him.
The work that the Pastor does goes beyond the 9 to 5 as it is spiritual warfare that he is engaged in. 24/7 your Pastor is battling principalities and powers, rulers of darkness and spiritual wickedness in high places. (Eph. 6:12-18 key vs 19)

2. Support Him.
In this battle it can feel as if your Pastor is the only one watching for your souls. (Heb. 13:17) Loneliness is a part of the position. People may not understand some decisions he makes, others may get angry at an observation he brings to the forefront, and some flat don't like his way of handling things. Remember he is God's man for God's church and he needs to know that your trusting God as he leads the congregation.

3. Love Him.
Your Pastor is far from perfect. He has faults that grieve him, he has failed in ways that have hurt people, and he experiences negativity on a daily basis. He works with sin and its pain. He feels it all. and worse, he feels it on the outside as someone whose only answer is a God that most people know of but do not really know. Its a tough sell, and so the last thing he needs is to be around people who judge him, don't forgive him, and neglect him. Love him for his works sake.

and now some thoughts.....

Let your Pastor develop relationships his way.
Jesus himself had friends who were closer than others, let the pastor choose those people and don't be offended if your not in his inner circle. (You wouldn't like it in there anyway)
There are people who are my friends who minister to me, and friends who I minister to, if you want to help me be the best, let me choose my closest friends and don't try to be someone I have not allowed you to be.

Let your Pastor have bad days.
What part of Human don't we understand?

Don't be a flake.
If you make a commitment, keep it. If he has entrusted you with the souls of others, (Children or Adults in ministry) finish the course. There is nothing worse than people who take responsibility for something and then because of flakiness pass it back to me or put it on others to do what YOU have committed to do.

Appreciate what God has done by giving back.
Like the nine lepers who were healed but never turned back to give God praise, many Christians take the new life God offers and go on their merry way. If you appreciated what God has done, go and tell the world.

Don't pity the Pastor.
Don't think "Oh Poor Pastor". He chose this path. God called, He committed.

While the position of Pastor is the most difficult thing I have ever done, the church can go a long way to making it better by taking heed to these things. They are not only things you ought to do, it should be part of our church culture as we encourage others to help the Pastor be at his best.

No comments:

Post a Comment