Jesus loves me this I know. Debra Wants me this I know. My kids appreciate me this I know. My church encourages me this I know. My Life Group cares for me this I know. Everything else I know, I will share with you.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

What does it mean when your Leather Jacket Zipper keeps breaking?

I know its been a long summer for me but come on.
Every time I zip my Leather jacket zipper up it pulls apart.
Its not like there are competing forces pulling at each other, there's still plenty of room.
But with Every Zip, there's a Split in the two sides.

This was never Gods intention, for something created to work together to ever come apart.
Like teeth in a zipper the church made up of different people are like the two sides that are supposed to slide in together and hold on to one another until they are forced apart by the Zipper thingy.
No Matter How HEAVY the internal force is pushing against it, its design is to HOLD Together.
No Matter How much PRESSURE from external forces pushing against it, again, its design is to HOLD Together.

Jesus said that He would build His church, and not even the gates of Hell could split it.
Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

For my Jackets sake, the problem is a few weak teeth near the bottom of the zipper.
Designed to be the strongest, the toughest, they are weary and worn out of anchoring the rest of the teeth.

Solution? I need a whole new zipper as once the bottom teeth are worn it only weakens the rest. And in the Church this is a difficult thing to do.

Let me make a suggestion that would be better.

1. Lets be careful that we understand the pressure of those in the church called to lead.
The life group coordinators, the teachers, the worship team and Pastor. We must always be mindful of the difficult work that they do and its value to the whole church. If they fail, it will be hard to hold things together.

2. Let's be careful how we apply pressure to those in the church called to lead.
Remember, sometimes its the internal pressures that weigh heavy on the zipper.
Lets be careful that we help our leaders, not become a burden to them. Rather than being a problem become a solution and lift pressure off of them by our willingness to serve.

3. Let's be careful of our attitude towards others in the Church. Each one of us holds an important spot in the Church. If we are weak towards the other zips, (become offended or angry at another) we can easily bring down the whole church. Jesus said that they would know who we are by the Love that we show each other. "Love will hold us together"

While I can wear my jacket without being zipped up, its cold, uncomfortable, and dangerous if I crash. If the church is not bound together in love, it will be the same.

We are not called to be apart but together in the work of God.
Lets encourage those zips at the bottom. Pray for your life group coordinator, pray for your child's teacher, pray for the worship team, and pray for your Pastor. We need it as you need us.
Let's Zip it up and go for a Ride!

1 comment: