Jesus loves me this I know. Debra Wants me this I know. My kids appreciate me this I know. My church encourages me this I know. My Life Group cares for me this I know. Everything else I know, I will share with you.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

How to Blow UP your Relationship with God and others

The other day I did something that I greatly regret. I made an assumption about someone that I love dearly that could have cost us our relationship. Thankfully in the midst of the conversation I recognized my error and quickly sought his forgiveness to which he freely gave.

But sitting here this morning thinking about that lesson, I began to notice that I have been doing this with God as well.

I assume I know what God is doing in my life.
I assume I know what God is going to do with my life.
I assume I know what God needs to do for my life.

this is a problem because God might have other plans for me and if I assume something different it will lead to conflict and frustration in our relationship.

Yet, we all make assumptions. We make assumptions about what our spouse is thinking. We make assumptions about how our children feel. We make assumptions about what others believe about us, and these assumptions, especially with God, often lead to unnecessary conflict, worry and stress, as well as broken relationships.

and so today I just want to encourage you to stop assuming and start knowing. Jesus said that "Truth makes us Free" (John 8:32) So in every relationship lets seek the truth by asking Questions. Of God and Others so that we are properly informed and personally inspired by what is TRUE.

While this is a strange quote from Lemony Snicket its true....
“Assumptions are dangerous things to make, and like all dangerous things to make — bombs, for instance, or strawberry shortcake — if you make even the tiniest mistake you can find yourself in terrible trouble. Making assumptions simply means believing things are a certain way with little or no evidence that shows you are correct, and you can see at once how this can lead to terrible trouble. For instance, one morning you might wake up and make the assumption that your bed was in the same place that it always was, even though you would have no real evidence that this was so. But when you got out of your bed, you might discover that it had floated out to sea, and now you would be in terrible trouble all because of the incorrect assumption that you’d made. You can see that it is better not to make too many assumptions, particularly in the morning.”

No comments:

Post a Comment