Don't want to be around them. Don't want to worship with them, don't want to serve with them, and definitely don't want to live with them.
Discouraging people are a drag on Life. They like to think their critiquing, when all they are doing is complaining. and all they really do is make people want to quit.
As I have studied my bible, the only people Jesus hung around who were discouraging was Peter and Judas.
One was humbled the other, hung.
Neither of them were proud of themselves.
I want to be with encouraging people.
It is a part of our culture at newLife.
Encouraging people are wanted people!
So this morning I am going to share a list of things you can do to encourage your family and friends.
Try catching them doing something right, and praise them for it.
I think you will be amazed at what happens.
- Give them praise for Great effort.
- Give them praise for a great attitude.
- Give them praise for punctuality.
- Give them praise for creativity.
- Give them praise for serving their spouse.
- Give them praise for courageous action.
- Give them praise for helping you succeed, win, grow, make progress or achieve the results you’re after.
- Praise them publicly whenever you can.
- Never lie. Never offer praise you don’t sincerely mean.
- Never think it’s your job to keep someone humble. Everyone has plenty of critical, mean-spirited and destructive people already doing their best to tear them down. Nobody needs your help to feel stupid, insignificant or worthless.
- If people really need a break, give them some time off. It will let them know they are truly appreciated.
- Be prompt. Appropriate praise is best when it’s timely.
- Reward some things with a “Thank You” note, other things with $1,000.00 check. Know the difference.
- Celebrate behaviors you value; affirm what you want repeated.
- Tell the rest of the family or friends or even the church when someone deserves praise.