Jesus loves me this I know. Debra Wants me this I know. My kids appreciate me this I know. My church encourages me this I know. My Life Group cares for me this I know. Everything else I know, I will share with you.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Means can be very Mean


For a period of time, I was a Christian who held tightly to What a believer believed and How that believer believed. Hard Doctrine and Holy Direction was what I clung too. Christianity was more about being RIGHT with my view of a Christian than being right with God. (these two often got confused). In fact the Method or Means of the faith was more important than the men.

Jesus taught about this in Luke chapter 7. He was invited into the home of a Pharisee and was given a place at the mans table. But a woman of the city, a sinner heard Jesus was there, she entered into this mans home and began to pour out love on Jesus. To which the Pharisee began to judge not only the woman but the Lord himself.

So Jesus asks this question about who would love more, a person forgiven of much or a person forgiven of little. Simon supposed that it would be the person who had the larger debt. And He was right.

Jesus then turned to the woman and speaking to Simon still and begins to explain the difference between this point. The woman who needed much forgiveness Loved Jesus much, but Simon who loved Jesus little didn't need much forgiveness.

Great truth. Simple truth. But not the truth that I think is the most important truth.

Jesus then forgives the woman of her sins that were great, but all the Pharisee’s were concerned with was the means of forgiveness. Who is Jesus to do this?

They were not concerned with the Woman who needed forgiveness; they were concerned with the way she was forgiven. Their Hard Doctrine and Holy Direction did not provide for Supernatural Forgiveness. Their View of the Faith did not fit in with the Values of the Father. Rather than Rejoice over what ever means or methods this woman came to know forgiveness, they Judged and ridiculed how it was done.

The Apostle Paul spoke to this point in 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 summarizing it by saying 1 Corinthians 9:22-23 (ESV) 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.
23 I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.


That by all means or different methods I might save some. I was asked yesterday why our church doesn’t have more doctors or lawyers and my thought was, because they don't think that they need as much forgiveness as the adulteresses and the drunkards and the addicts do. And I no longer fish for the full, but the Hungry.

 



1 comment: